Combined Locks, Wisconsin, USA 31 July 2018 -- (From news reports) -- The former Appleton Coated paper mill could benefit from up to $1.8 million in tax credits to support a revival of the facility, which shut down just last year.
The 129-year-old paper mill, which is now called Midwest Paper Group, has recalled 310 employees to date. It will need to reach 321 jobs by 2020 and maintain those jobs until at least 2022 to receive the full amount of the tax credits. The firm committed to investing a total of at least $30 million in the paper mill.
Gov. Scott Walker, who toured the facility Monday, said he recognized how critical the paper industry is for the community, region and state.
"This has been a significant part of our history," Walker said. "I believe it will be -- with the right investments and the right upgrades -- a significant part of our future."
Appleton Coated shut down in September under receivership. The closure put nearly 600 people out of work.
The mill was sold in October for $21 million to two firms, Industrial Assets Corp. and Maynards Industries USA. They primarily buy and sell used machinery and conduct liquidations and auctions.
But Appleton Coated wasn't scrapped. Instead, the new owners invested millions of dollars to upgrade the mill and machines began to start up again. About half of the employees were recalled in stages. The business has shifted heavily toward brown paper used for packaging, a high-demand product.
"This was an industry we thought was important to play a role in," Walker said. "We're absolutely thrilled with what's happening here and want to continue to be partners with them going forward."
"We're proud to continue on the legacy this community has in papermaking," Midwest Paper Group president Kyle Putzstuck said. "We're looking forward to our next steps here."
Outagamie County Executive Tom Nelson questioned why Walker and his administration didn't get involved in the process sooner, especially when the situation appeared dire for the business.
"I think it's important to take stock of how we got here today," Nelson said. "We got here because a community -- workers, labor and management -- got together and willed this 100-plus-year-old company back to life."
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.